Mar 13, 2011

The Journey's Plan

In January I got on the treadmill two days in a row, but that was it... Why? If you'll go back to my earlier posts you'll remember that when I quit drinking soda, I didn't tell Christy about it at first. I didn't want to make a big deal about. I hate being a center of attention or having people making a fuss.

My plan was to do the same thing with the treadmill. She normally works until about 7pm each evening, so my plan was to get home and get some time in on the treadmill before she got home. And that worked on Thursday night. But on Friday Christy was not feeling well and came home from work early, getting home before me. So, no work out. And then Saturday I slept in, didn't get time on Sunday, and I don't remember what happened the after that, but obviously I didn't make it back on the treadmill.

Not in January. I did in February. Twice. One time on a Saturday morning before Christy got up. And then that afternoon we went on a 1 1/2 mile hike on the Palmer Hay Flats, geocaching. There was about a foot of snow on the ground and if you've never walked through snow like that, it's quite the work out. By the time we got back to the truck I could hardly walk... Since I didn't want to look like a complete loser in front of my wife because I couldn't walk a simple 1 1/2 miles I told her I had been on the treadmill that morning. The cat was out of bag... So now there was no need to dance around her schedule.  Even still it was almost a week later before I got on the treadmill again.

For years Christy & I talked about joining a gym. A couple of things held us back. One is the that they are stinkin' EXPENSIVE!  Which is bad enough. But even worse is to join the gym, spend the money, and then never use the membership. Once Christy puts her mind to something, she's doing it. So if we joined a gym, she was going. I'm the one who lacks in commitment. But when she saw the effort I was putting into this, we started talking about joining a gym.

Her sister had joined the Alaska Club a few months earlier & had a one week guest pass that was about to expire. So we decided to try it for a week. I'm proud to say that I worked out 6 of the 7 days. By "working out" I mean an hour on the elliptical machine. Not exactly "Biggest Loser", but still... it's better than sittin' on the couch. After our free week was up, we bit the bullet and joined the gym. (...some of you have an episode of "Friends" running through your mind right now...)

So, that's the Journey's plan. If you are my friend on facebook, you may have noticed me checking in at the Alaska Club almost every day. Has it worked? Well, let's see the chart for February & March...

(click on image to see all of it...)

No comments: