Apr 25, 2007

Access...

On Saturday, Christy and I swung by the Wal-Mart on A Street in Anchorage. We normally don't shop there, just because it seems so run down and dirty. As we were checking out, I heard a familiar voice, and there in front of me was Governor Palin. When Christy and I first started dating, she was a nanny for the Palin's. This is when Sarah had just become mayor of Wasilla. Christy was with them for about a year, and I spent a lot of time over there. Christy had her own seperate living space, so I didn't spend a lot of time around the family, but I still got to know them.
We waited for her to check out, and then walked out of the store with her, chatting as we went. She was curious to know how we were doing, and how the church was doing. We expressed our surprise in running into the Governor in Wal-Mart of all places. She was running to a couple of speeches, and need to pick up some make up. Once we were outside, we wished each other well, and went our ways.
I remember my first reaction was think about how cool it was to run into the governor in Wal-Mart. She was by herself, with no security detail, or assistants. Then I remember thinking how it was even cooler that I knew the governor of the greatest state in American personally, and that she knew us, and would take the time to ask how we were doing.
It was great to run into Sarah, but it got me thinking...
It's a big deal to meet someone important. When Christy was in high school, they went to Disney Land and saw the Olson Twins on the Mono-Rail. I've met the winner of Survivor Guatemala, Danni, and got a picture with her. One time at Phoenix First, there was a chance that President Bush might visit to discuss his Faith Based Initiatives, and the church was all a twitter. When I lived in Hoonah, large yachts would lay over there in the summer, waiting for their permits to go into Glacier Bay, and there was usually a celebrity on board.
We make a big deal out the rich and famous. But think about this: As believers, we have instant, continuous access the the most famous celebrity of all. We have a direct line to the God of the universe. We have a audience with the Lord of lords and the King of kings. Whether its in our prayer closets, or as we work, or in church; we have God's ear, and His heart is turned towards us. Forget about meeting an elected official, or a TV star, or a sports hero... Through the blood of Jesus, we can boldly approach the throne of grace!! Once there was not a way, but through His death on the cross, Jesus has made the way!
But do we fully appreciate this? Do we walk with God throughout the day, every day; or do we just visit Him once a week? This week is District Council, and I spent yesterday at Muldoon Assembly. Their wireless system was secure, so I couldn't log on get my emails. I felt so disconnected and out of touch. How often do I "log on" with God through out the day?
Perry Noble mentioned once that Leadership is merely listening to God. As Moses lead Israel, his leadership method was to take every decision and problem to God. Look through Exodus at how many times it says "and Lord said to Moses."
Well, I'm not trying to get too deep or spiritual, but it's pretty amazing that we are children of God, and we have the Father's attention...

1 comment:

ORStafford said...

Wow! That was one of those good thought for the day thing. And so true. Thanks for the reminder of what is important. But the meet up with the Gov was cool and nice for Christy since she invested a bit of time in the Palin family.