Apr 8, 2011

The Journey: The Bag of Hope

You are probably wondering what this bag is all about. Growing up we called them "sea bags". Dad was in the Navy years ago, and I guess these are the type of bags they carried their gear in. You can buy them from any military surplus or outdoor store. Growing up, these bags are what we used for luggage. They were easy to pack. You just shoved everything in there. Unpacking was simple too. You just dumped them out.

So, I've still got a couple of these things. My wife thinks they are ugly. And they are. That's half the fun of it. When we moved into the new house last year, this one got loaded up with my jeans. But these aren't just any jeans. They are Levi 560's. They are my favorite type of jeans. But the ones in this bag don't fit.

They used to fit. And then one summer I got to where I was wearing shorts most of the time. And I had some shorts that were way too big. They had a belt, but it wasn't the kind with notches. It was the type you could cinch up to where ever it fit. So as my waist line expanded, I never noticed. Until that fall when I went to go back to pants and almost none of them fit. And the few that did fit, did so less and less every time I put them on.

Eventually I had to buy bigger jeans. And then even bigger. Those were getting tight right around the time I started to make plans for the Journey. When the fat jeans don't fit, it's time to do something about it.

Right now I'm at a point where the fat jeans are absolutely too big. The in-between jeans (which are still for fat people) were getting too big, but I washed them in hot water & dried them on high, so they shrunk up quite a bit. When I lost ground in the Journey from September to February those started getting a little tight again. Now that I've dropped back down, they are fitting good.

The jeans in the bag still don't fit. Not yet. But they will. I have a goal, and I've got a plan to make that goal. Remember, a goal without a plan is just a day dream. And trust me... When I get to the point where they fit, I'll be celebrating it here on this blog.

And finally: An update. Since starting at the gym in late February, I've lost 17 pounds. My total weight lost since starting the journey is 44 pounds.

1 comment:

ORStafford said...

yea!!! on the progress. Getting the bag of jeans out will be a inspiration every time you see it. When I first saw the picture I thought maybe you were starting to pack for the trip. Push on, eat healthy and get enough sleep.