Oct 16, 2012

Update on the $1 Coin

A week ago I reported that I took out $50 in $1 coins to see what it would be like to use those instead of $1 bills. You can read that post here....
I've spent about $30 worth of them at several fast food places and a couple of grocery stores. I'm kinda disappointed... For the most part none of the cashiers have batted an eye at the coins. I had spent a $1 coin a while back and the cashier didn't know what to do with it. This experience is what prompted my little experiment.
But I haven't had any unusual encounters this time around. The cashiers have taken the coins just like it was cash.
I think I'm going to keep going with the $1 coins. As part of our budget, each pay period I take out $32 for my our ending money. For a while I'm going to take that out in $1 coins.
In Canada they don't have $1 bills, just coins. There's been several attempts to do that in America, but experience with the metric shows Americans aren't big on change...

No comments: