May 14, 2011

The Journey: Reincarnation

I don't really believe in reincarnation... But if it was true, I think the worst thing you could come back as is an alarm clock.

Think about it... There you are, sitting on the night stand. As your owner goes to bed they set you to go off in the morning. For the next seven or eight hours you wait in eager anticipation for the designated moment. And it finally comes! This is it; this is what you were created for.

With a loud beep, or perhaps a confident buzz you announce the morning and time to get up. And you do so with great pride. You have completed your mission, and while you were just merely doing your duty, you figure some "atta-boys" are in order.

But what happens? Instead of a thank you, your owner screams at you and starts blindly slapping you! What the...? Why are they hitting you?!? You're just waking them up like they asked you to last night. Okay... So they are little grumpy. So you figure you'll give them 5 or 10 more minutes of sleep. And when you go off again, the yelling & hitting happens again. This little scene repeats itself several times over the next half hour until they finally get up, mumbling & grumbling.

So, the next morning you decide to try something different. You weren't sure what you did wrong the day before, but obviously you made your owner mad by trying to wake them up. So this morning, you are going to let them sleep. That should make them happy, right?

Well, it doesn't. If anything they were more mad when they woke up several hours later than they should've. They yelled,  screamed & said words that can not be repeated in polite company. Yep, if you are an alarm clock, there's no way to win.

Why? Well, because people are crazy. We set our alarm clocks at night knowing we won't want to get up in the morning. We buy gym memberships and then don't go. We say we are dieting and then super size our meal at McDonald's.

Plato said that in our heads we have a rational charioteer who has to rein in an unruly horse that "barely yields to horsewhip and goad combined."  Paul said in Romans chapter 7: So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am!

 The key to my Journey, or anybody's Journey is to get both sides of our personality to work together. That is why I highly recommend the book "Switch" by Chip & Dan Heath. And if you are too cheap to buy it, you can read the first chapter for free on their website.

You can read the first chapter here...

No comments: