May 18, 2011

The Journey: Back to the Gym

I made it back to the gym... finally.  It's been a month since I had been there. Leading up to our trip I missed a few days before because of being busy getting ready to go. And then I missed 10 days while we were on vacation. And then I came home with my feet burned to a crisp.

Monday was the first day I was able to function without constant pain. If I bump them or get my shoes tied too tight they still hurt, but nothing like they have been hurting. So, as much as I didn't want to, I knew I had to get back in the gym.

It was a short work out. Sometimes after I've been on the elliptical machine for about 20 or 30 minutes something pinches in my upper back, right between my shoulder blades. It hurts like crazy... Normally I push past it, but this time I just didn't have the mental fortitude.

At least 60% of the Journey has been more mental than physical. It was a month between when I decided to quite soda and when I actually quit. And I spent that month preparing mentally for the battle.

I've also set some more goals. I want to lose 8 to 10 pounds a month. I also want to be able climb the Butte and Lazy Mountain before the end of the summer. I've never done either, and I hear the view from the top is pretty awesome.

And, as much as I hate running, by next year I want to run in a 5K. I'm not worried about how well I do, I just want to be able to say I did it.

Stayed tuned for future updates as we get serious again about the Journey. The plan is to post every Tuesday & Saturday. Granted, this post is going up on Wednesday night, so sometimes I'll be late...

No comments: