May 9, 2011

The Journey: Post-Hawaii Update

We've been home from vacation for a week now. Unfortunately the Journey is still on hold. As I've mentioned in my last post, the top of my feet got severely sunburned on our second-to-the-last day there. I've spent the last week mostly in pain.

So, hitting the gym is out of the picture. Just walking is hard enough. I think I'm on the mend, but it may be a few more days before I can get back on track. And I need to get back on track. Both with my exercise and my eating. So far my weight has held steady at 316 pounds. Which is great considering I'm not working out and not paying too much attention to what I eat.

Not paying attention is why I'm in this situation in the first place... That's how I burnt my feet. The whole trip I was keeping myself out of the sun. There was just one hour where I lost focus, and that's the hour my feet sat in the sun. And got fried...

Leading up to the trip, I was focused on a goal weight before the trip. Now my focus is not just a number on the scale, but on getting into clothes that haven't fit, being able to work out harder, having more endurance and generally being able to enjoy life more.

I'm ready to get past being fat. At work, some of the guys are doing a softball team. They were short on players and trying to figure out who else they could get to be a part. But in all their discussion they never asked me to play. I'm not bothered that they didn't include me, and there's no way I'd have time to do it. But it is one more example of what life as a fat person is like. And it's a life I'm done with.

And for your viewing pleasure, here's a picture of my feet at their worse:

2 comments:

tbbotts said...

Hi Todd,I just tuned in to your blog. I haven't been on the computer much lately with all the boat projects and fishing. I couldn't believe how severely burned your feet are. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that on your vacation- or any time for that matter. I hope it's healing well.I burned my feet when I went to Kuwai also.I was driving without my shoes on and they got burned, but not anywhere near as bad as yours. Don't let them get infected.I'll be keeping you in my prayers and hope you feel much better soon.
Tom

AKStafford said...

Thanks Tom... They are slowly healing.