Aug 9, 2007

Not much fun...

This started out as a beautiful night of caching. We did an easy cache in Settlers Bay, and then headed out past the Goosebay Airport for a cache on the Knik Arm. The view from where we parked above the beach is incredible. Christy and I came out here a few times early in our relationship.
So, we come down the beach, and head into the woods when the arrow swung that way. Got within 40 feet of cache, and GPS was jumpy and didn't haven't much accuracy. No problem, that was to be expected in the trees. So, we begin the hunt. About five minutes in, with the GPS reading 20 feet, Christy goes "Ouch... Ouch... There's something on me..." I turn around, expecting a thorn, maybe a spider. At first I don't see anything, and then I realize we are in the middle of a swarm of extremely unhappy bees. Apparently we stepped on their home. I've only been stung one other time in my life, so the first sting was a surprise. The second sting hurt, and then I realized this wasn't going to stop, we had to get out of there. We started running through brush, killing the bees as they stung. I took between 12 and 15 hits, and Christy took almost 20. We stinkin' hurt. Ice helps, but we only have two ice packs, and we are stung all over. We tried a baking soda paste, but it didn't help. I'm headed to the store to see what sort of help they may have.
Simply put, that sucked.

3 comments:

Sonja said...

What an unpleasant surprise! I hope you guys are feeling better today.

Tycen said...

Ouch! What, no pictures?

Alaska Stafford said...

Sorry... We were a little preoccupied at the moment. In the process of swatting for our lives, at one point I dropped the GPS and my new sunglasses. So, now I'm being stung, and digging through the brush trying to find them, all while yelling at Christy to run. Good times... Oh well, it'll make a good sermon illustration.