Jan 20, 2013

Valley of Fire

Right after Thanksgiving we spent a week in Southern Nevada and did some exploring. Our biggest day included visiting Hoover Dam and then driving along Lake Mead to Valley of Fire State Park. You can see the Hoover Dam story here in my earlier post...  
And here's link to the map of our route that day....
We could have spent the entire day here, but we didn't actually make here until late in the after noon. We spent more time at the dam than we planned and then took our time driving up along Lake Mead. We just barely made it through the park before it got dark.

As you can see from the map of our journey we did the trip as a big circle. You can find more information about the park at their official website, or at the Wikipedia article. I won't take the time here to give all facts & figures here since they are easily found on the linked pages.

 These pictures show probably the best part of our drive through. It was towards the end of the day and the sun was headed towards the horizon. We had taken a bumpy side road to see Arch Rock. After getting a good photo of it, we loaded back up in the car and headed towards the park exit. We came around a corner, and this guy was on the rock dead ahead of us.


We did a little freak out... I'm yelling "look, get a picture", Christy is trying to get out of the car to take the picture, but I've neglected to actually stop the car because I'm too busy telling her to get a picture.
We finally got stopped and got out of the car and a second one showed up. These are big horn sheep. We watched them for about 5 minutes before the went over the other side of the rock.
 This is the Arch Rock we had taken the side road to see. The rock formations in this park were impressive.
 Some of the wonders in the park are man made. These petroglyphs, or rock art, where made by Native Americans around 1,500 years ago. A great discussion on these fascinating markings can be found here...
To reach the petroglyphs you had to climb up an extensive set of stairs. These are a more recent addition. They were a nice replacement for the narrow steep steps that had been carved into the rocks at some point.

From here, I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves...





 I love the contrasting colors in this picture. Christy takes amazing photos.














5 comments:

tbbotts said...

I have GOT to get down there. There is so much of this country I haven't seen and I want to before I get to where I can't travel at all. Thanks so much for sharing these pictures Todd- they're beautiful.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Even 4.5 years later, folks like me are using your information to plan a trip to this area :-) - it is helpful information that will help me decide where to spend my time and money! Much appreciated.

Unknown said...

Very informative and I love the pictures...thank you!!!

Vegas visitor said...

How long do you recommend you need at VOF? What time did you arrive?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Great Blog!

I'm coming from Australia in October 2019 and am intending to drive the exact same route you did - from Hoover Dam along Highway 167 to the top of the Valley of Fire State Park.

Could you tell me approx how long it takes to drive that distance and the condition of the road Highway 167 thru the desert?

many thanks !