Jul 23, 2011

The Journey: The Best Day

As I look back over this Journey that is now 16 months along, my best day was just a few months ago. Christy and I were spending two days on Oahu, staying in Honolulu.  We'd flown in the evening before, picked up the rental car and made our way to the hotel. When staying at a new place, you are never sure what you are going to get. But the place we stayed at was great. It was just a few blocks from Waikiki beach.

After we checked in we walked down to a restaurant for dinner and then we got to bed early.  We wanted plenty of sleep for the big day we had planned. And it was this next day that has been the best day of the Journey.

We got up and out the door early. We were headed to Diamond Head to hike up to the old WWII observation post on the crater rim. (You can read the details here... Oh, and there's puking involved...). It was a strenuous hike, but I made it. After wards we drove over the north side of the island.

For lunch we stopped at a Subway and used a gift card that my Aunt Jackie & Uncle Roger had given me for my birthday. Granted, Subway isn't as healthy as Jared would like you to believe, but it's better than fries & a burger.

We spent the rest of the day driving through paradise, with a stop at a beach to enjoy the water. That evening we took a walk through bustling Waikiki and watched the sunset over the beach.


I was at my lowest weight at this time... I had been hitting the gym almost daily for two months. I was in a beautiful location with my favorite wife. It was perfect.
And that's my motivation for the Journey... I want to have more perfect days like that. But it's not going to happen being overweight, clothes barely fitting, sitting on the couch eatin' chips and drinkin' soda. So as much as I dread going to the gym, it has to happen. Period.

1 comment:

tbbotts said...

Hi Todd- beautiful picture and a beautiful memory. I hope you let it motivate you. You're on a difficult journey for sure, but look at how far you've come. Keep on truckin buddy- it will be worth the effort! God bless.
Tom