Oct 10, 2013

FPU @ GCCC: The End Means a New Beginning

Last week I wrapped up my first Financial Peace University at Goose Creek Correctional Center. I handed out 14 graduation certificates to the guys. Well, I wasn't able to hand out all 14. One of the guys got released a couple of weeks ago. Even though he missed the last two videos, he still got the heart of the Financial Peace message. So for me it is exciting to think there's already a guy out there who has the knowledge & tools he needs to win with money, and he got that information in prison.

I want to say again a HUGE thank you to all who gave towards buying workbooks for the class. You gave enough that I was able to order my next batch of workbooks for my new class that starts this Friday! The room we use for the class only holds about 20 people, so that is what we limited registration to. And I'm told the sign up sheet for the class filled up immediately.

In order to be a part of this class, guys give up their recreation time to be there. Some of them are giving up their work time to be there. They don't make much in their prison jobs, but it's all they have so for them to give up work hours to do the class means a lot.

As I said, I start my new class on Friday. But that's not all. I'm also doing a 12 week class on the Bait of Satan material from John Bevere. This course talks about dealing with bitterness, forgiveness and dealing with offenses. It's also a full class with 20 guys signed up.

There's three things you can help me in:
  1. Pray for me. I'm still adapting the class for the prison and I want it to be as effective as possible. And doing the Bait of Satan is brand new for me, so I'm a little nervous about that...
  2. If you are able to, and have the desire to, I'm collecting funds for the next class after this one I'm about to start. As long as I'm able to, I'm going to keep doing these classes back to back. The details on how to give are here....
  3. Wanna really get involved? If you live locally and have your Fridays free, come out and be a part. I can use help with the classes. And at the end of the month there'll be a new Friday night service starting that I'm going to help with and we can always use more people. To be involved in prison ministry you have to be able to pass a background check and go through a 2 hour orientation class. It looks like there'll be an orientation class coming up here in the Valley in November. If you are interested, let me know and I'll get you more details.
I really wanted to post a picture of my graduating class, but obviously the policies for Goose Creek do not allow that. So just close your eyes and picture a group of smiling guys in yellow prison jumpsuits holding their graduation certificates with big smiles on their faces...

Oh, I almost forgot! If you are looking to take the class yourself and don't want to go to prison to do it, Jonathan Hall will be holding one at King's Chapel here in Wasilla. You can see more info here....  If you live outside the Valley and want information on a class in your area, visit www.DaveRamsey.com/FPU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and the men on the completion of Class 1. We will be praying for you as you continue in the work the Lord has lead you to.

tbbotts said...

Hey Todd- Congratulations to you and the grads. That's quite an accomplishment for all of you. Keep up the good work!